(By Guest Blogger Brenda)
I suppose she has been pretty busy lately. Did you hear? She has a girlfriend now. (I know. Scandalous, right? Who saw that coming?) And she's living on her own, going to school, working, sharing custody of the kids, and managing to do it all really well.
So I'm just going to sweep up a little, open some windows, and let in some fresh air. And while I'm at it, I'm going to tell you why I think Marianne is one of the best moms I know. It's Mother's Day, after all. And this will save me from getting her a card.
1. She genuinely likes her kids. That's sort of a major requirement for being a good mom. There are some species who'll eat their young without a second thought. But not Marianne. I'm
2. She nursed them until they were seven all because she knew that was the best choice for them. O.K., maybe not seven. But way longer than I'd feel comfortable doing it. My philosophy is that if they can ask for the boob with a complete sentence, it's time to move on to a sippy cup. But what do I know? The love in her voice when she talks about the closeness she felt with each of them while nursing makes me kind of regret hiring that wet nurse for my own. I mean, the way she describes it, it would totally be worth the loss of my perky breasts. Lord knows she sacrificed hers.
3. She teaches them personal responsibility and respect for others. They are some of the most polite children I know. I am 97% sure none of her kids will ever be on an episode of Cops.
4. She's a fun mom. She lets them get creative and make messes. She plays with them. She laughs with them. Me? I'm all, "Paddox and Brahara, I'm sorry. Mommy is too tired to tell the nanny to play with you. Go find a way to entertain yourselves. And don't make a mess, because I'm also too tired to tell the maid to clean up after you. But not Marianne. She's all, "Let's go to the park! Sure, you can make brownies! Let's go get ice cream! Why don't you have a sleep over here with your friends?!" You know, generally making the rest of us look bad.
5. She puts the needs and welfare of her children ahead of her own. Do you know how many drunk videos she hasn't posted because she doesn't want her kids to see it someday? A lot. Do you know how many times she didn't run away to a tropical island somewhere because she knows her kids need her? Also a lot. This is a woman who usually waits until her kids are bed before breaking out the wine. That's love and selflessness right there.
There you have it. Best mom ever. The rest of us can only aspire to be that good. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to tell the nanny to thank the kids for my Mother's Day gift. Parenting is so hard sometimes.