Saturday, December 12, 2009
Me: oh! You don't have to go to bed right now. You can come brush your teeth first, then go to bed.
Viv: (calmer) But I still don't want to go to sleep!!
Me: OK. You can just lay in your bed till you fall asleep. You can just stay awake until you fall asleep. Ok?
Viv: (with a triumphant smile) Yeah! Ok!
And she trotted into the bathroom to brush her teeth, go potty, and got her PJ's on and got in bed.
Thank you, zoloft.
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Thursday, November 5, 2009
- no joint pain
- no muscle pain (can't believe I'm not sore)
- asked a friend that i train if she'd train for the triathlon with me and she said yes
- registration for triathlon closed yesterday
- don't have to rush to see if the 'ol ankle can handle running. i can take my time and do it gradually
- my training friend is going to do one in the spring, and i will probably do a different one with her then
- i have a month to see if the ankle is good or not
- i'm pretty underweight, and am trying to gain weight (yet another reason for Brandi to hate me)
- this isn't really compatible with triathlon training because i need to be focusing on muscle building and de-emphasizing cardio.
- so, even if i end up not doing the triathlon, i still have to cut back on my 1 or 2 hours of cardio per week
- you all probably hate me now. keep your hatred to yourself. i don't want to hear about it.
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Me??!! A triathlon? You want me to run?
I don't run. I made a vow not to run after I got out of the Army 11 1/2 years ago. I can't go back on that vow. Not to mention that I have a screw in my ankle. Not to mention that I hate running.
So, why am I considering it?
I guess because I already cycle (in a class - a controlled environment), and I swim (i can make it 20 minutes if i'm lucky), and I'm in good shape (kinda on the skinny side). So why not?
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Monday, October 5, 2009
- Sweaters and jeans are everyday items now
- It's chilly in the morning when I leave for work
- That sucks
- It's going to get worse before it gets better
- I wear my snuggly bathrobe and slippers whenever I'm in the house
- Summer is just around the corner (positive thinking)
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
So, we went to the Chatham County Courthouse in Savannah, GA (where we were both stationed) and did it! I mean, we got married. Aren't I a radiant bride? True story: When we were outside the judge's chambers, there was this guy who had like three gold teeth in his mouth that was trying to pick up my mom. On MY wedding day! Can you believe it?
Friday, September 25, 2009
So there I was, playing hookey and working, and the lawn mower decided to act up. The grass was dewey and kinda long, and it kept getting caught in the blower. So, I would stop the blade, and bend over to shake the grass out so I could continue mowing. This happened ten too many times. The last time I did this I failed to realize that the blade doesn't actually stop moving until you give it enough time to stop spinning. It's not a light switch, DU-UH! I thought that there might be a clump of grass caught in there, so I stuck my hand just a little bit too far and-
Yes. I. Stuck. My. Hand. Into. A. Running. Lawn. Mower.
The blade hit my finger and broke it. I got three stitches and a tetnaus shot. Wanna hear something funny? My doctor's name was Dr. Crapster. NO JOKE. Dr. Crapster. HA!!
I think the best part of the whole ordeal was the vicodin Dr. Crapster prescribed me. I think he did it because I had a sarcastic sense of humor about the whole thing, and because I didn't comment about his name. How nice of him, huh?
I think the crappiest part of the whole thing is that I had to explain to all of the million people I deal with on a daily basis how I broke my finger. I'd usually start the conversation like this, "Well, I won the dumbass award and this is my trophy." And then hold up my splinted finger.
Thankfully, I still have a finger. It has just sucked big ones that I wasn't able to use it for three weeks. Tuesday, I took off the splint and started OT. I finally decided to try typing today, and it feels good. It's still swollen like a sausage and bruised, but I'm cool.
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Yes, that's Mimi and Trystan with Viviane Bassett at the foot of the bed watching while their little sister was being brought forth into the world. Trystan was my cheerleader. He even cut his sister's cord. (I have a picture of that, but there's a big boob in the picture that's kind of distracting)
...and Suzan, one of the best friends a girl could ask for!
Sunday, August 30, 2009
And the shimmery sparkly tree in front of the museum. What a beautiful sparkly creation!
Friday, August 28, 2009
What I learned:
1. You can't be afraid of pain. Waxing in general is painful. If you can't wax your own mustache, don't. even. try. it!
2. Even if you are tough like me, you'll want to stop after a couple of rips.
3. Don't attempt to do this all on one day. I did it in phases. First phase was just the bikini line. Second was the top of the pubic bone and the perenieal area. Third was the rest.
4. You need at least three hands to do phase three. That's why I'm not completely clean. I couldn't hold the skin tight enough. (maybe having four vagi-births has something to do with this). Did I just share that?
5. It's very messy. The wax is sticky and you can't wash it off with water. You must use oil to dissolve it. At least the oil moisturizes your skin.
6. I won't do it myself again because it took a lot of time, was messy, and unfinished.
7. I will, however, go to a professional to get it done. If I can do 85% of it on myself, I could certainly have a professional (compete stranger) do the whole job.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
I am fighting the urge to go back into the bathroom and finish. I can't do it now. I don't have the time, and Vivian is getting restless. (No, she wasn't in the bathroom with me)
I'll post pictures of the finished product tomorrow morning.
Ha Ha Ha, just checking to see if you were paying attention!
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
It's a devil's food chocolate cake, with my signature white chocolate buttercream frosting with chopped double stuff oreos mixed in. The white chocolate is sandwiched between two layers of chocolate cake. Did I mention that the filling tastes like the yummy delicious filling of an actual oreo? It's the combination of white chocolate buttercreamy-love and the double stuffing of the oreos. I'm a genius! (yeah, really!) Did I also mention that the filling is as high as the cake? Then it's topped with my (other) signature dark chocolate buttercream, and garnished with oreo crumbles. You have to eat a small piece. It's that rich. It took all afternoon to make, but that's ok. I like doing crazy stuff like that. Oh yeah, and I made a few cupcakes with the leftover cake batter and frosting. I couldn't let it go to waste.
One more thing: Today was Trystan's 11th birthday. I'll post more about that maybe tomorrow. We had a great day. The End.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Saturday, August 8, 2009
I am sad to say that I think I have lost my sweet tooth. Any of you who know me know how much I love sweets. Hell, you don't really have to know me that well to figure it out. The title of this blog implies a love for cookies at the very least.
But for the past few weeks, I have had no desire to eat sweets. No chocolate, no cookies, no pies, no ice cream, no cake, no nothing. I have eaten these things, though very sporadically. And I have eaten them only because I know I 'like' them. But I got no pleasure from eating the sweets. I was left with a funny taste in my mouth. A sweet taste that made me cringe. Even a sick feeling in my stomach.
I admit, I am confused about the change. It's not something I have set out to do. I am not intentionally eating fruit, it's just what I want. Instead of candy. Instead of cookies. Very confusing.
Unfortunately, I think this marks the end of an era. An era of baking and snacking that has defined who I am. I don't even bake anymore. My kids bake treats and they get to eat them, ALL OF THEM. No more hoarding the cookies for myself. No more eating cookies in my room while drinking DC.
It's sad. I've lost touch with a dear friend. Maybe we'll reunite soon. I hope so. Otherwise, I'll have to change the name of this blog.
Saturday, August 1, 2009
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Yes, I know it's blurry, but you read right. BACK ACRE!
Yes, it's a nature trail. It's not very long (400 feet), but it goes around Minnick Mountain to the back acre. The back acre AKA: Minnick family bonfire and campground.
Sunday, June 28, 2009
I'm sorry, Brandi, Crystal, Harmony, and any of you other girls who hate twilight. I tried to hate it. Yes, it was a bit angsty, but so is my life. I do have a teenager, you know. Also, I thought Eddie was pretty sexy. I wanted him to bite me.
I don't get the funny part. What was funny about it? Please enlighten me.
One of these days, you bi***es will get a real post from me. And there will be pictures of my house in them. Maybe.
Monday, June 22, 2009
This is what Trystan does to Sasha, our cat. He makes me feel this way too.
Friday, June 19, 2009
- i'm too busy
- i don't want to fight the kids for the computer
- i can't think of anything new to tell you
- the things i could blog about will get me in trouble
- i can't do anything around my house without my kids talking to me and bothering me
- i'm too tired by the time the kids are in bed and quiet
- i can't concentrate
- i'm working
- i have laundry to do
- i have to do the dishes
i'm not depressed. i'm actually feeling great.
my job is awesome! if you want to take a look around the new gym, just stop by. if you are the least bit interested in joining, ask for Amanda and tell her i sent you (really, she'll hook you up). she has signed up a couple of my friends already. if you sign up and want training, tell them i sent you (another hook up).
the house is coming along. i am not going to post pictures. you can come see it for yourself. call me. my old (301) phone number will give you the new one. or, you can leave a message on it and i'll call you back.
that's all for now. maybe more tomorrow. maybe not for another month. who can say?
Thursday, June 18, 2009
I don't know where she is or what she's doing, but here are a few guesses:
10. Too much time at the gym strained her fingers and she can't type.
9. She got Lyme disease from her tick infested new house and died.
8. She's in bed recovering from a Brazillian butt lift.
7. She's out shopping for mom jeans.
6. She's been playing Guitar Hero for 6 days straight.
5. She's busy cooking creative, healthful, balanced meals for her family while the rest of us just feed ours ramen.
4. She's too busy with her new friends in her new ward to bother updating the old ones. I guess she missed out on learning that old Girl Scout classic:
One is silver and the other gold.
We're gold, Marianne. We're gold. Just remember that.
3. Too much connubial bliss.
2. My hotness scorched her retinas and now she's blind. Sorry.
1. She's sleeping. Shhhhhhh...
Friday, May 15, 2009
- Started working at a brand new gym. As a trainer. AWESOMENESS!!!!
- Moved into a different house at the same time. SUCKSBIGTIME!!!!
- Working early morning hours three days per week + unpacking and moving = passing out at 9 pm. SNORE!!!!
- Hard water that turned whites dingy, rusty, brown. Showers that smell like pennies dropping from the sky. Spiders in every corner. Ticks. Ticks. Ticks. WHAT THE HELL WERE WE THINKING!!???!?!?
- Water finally fixed. Spiders are hiding. Got the insecticide. PROCRASTINATION!
- Escaped to the mountains of West Virginia with husband for romantic weekend getaway and go to sleep by 9 pm both nights. STILL ROCKED IT!!
- Almost meltdown, held it together (loosely), organized kitchen (sorta), had great night at work (thanks, Maggie), slept in 'till 6:30 the next morning. AAAAAAHHHHHH! THE WEEKEND.!!
Thursday, May 7, 2009
A couple of weeks ago, in anticipation of Mother's day and our recent move, he made 'secret' arrangements with my brother and a good friend of the family (Carol) to take me away this weekend. We are going to Carol's wonderful cottage in West Virginia called 'Dream Time'. My brother is staying with the kids, and my mother also came up for the weekend to see the house and to help out. I don't know how to get there, I don't know what we are going to do, I don't know what we are going to eat, I haven't been involved in any way. All I have to do is show up. I love that!! I know it will be great.
I can't wait until tomorrow morning!
Sunday, May 3, 2009
I thought that I didn't really care about moving away, until I realized that I might not be kept in the loop about all the lunches and playdates and book clubs (that I never go to) and all that stuff. So, keep me in mind. I'm still close.
Don't worry, I won't like them as much as I liked you all. I've already made up my mind.
Thursday, April 30, 2009
I think Marianne is busy moving. Or maybe she died. I dunno. In any case, she totally missed posting a recipe this week. So, being the friend that I am, I'm stepping up to post one for her. And today I'm going to feature an ingredient that you will likely never see on this blog again: RAMEN. It's seems like the anti-Marianne ingredient. Right up there with Canned Cream of Fat and Sodium Soup.
So here's what you'll need (for 2-ish servings):
-One package of chili flavored Top Ramen (other flavors are acceptable, especially chicken, but the chili gives it a nice heat).
-1/2 cup cooked and chopped chicken (I like to use some from a rotisserie chicken. I'm all about the laziness).
-1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (white and green parts)
-1 TBS minced cilantro (or Knorr makes a tiny cilantro bullion cube, sold in the Mexican food section, that works great)
-1/2 TSP minced ginger
-1/2 TSP minced garlic
-2 TSP sesame oil
Cook the ramen according to the directions on the package (Do not drain!!). Add in all the other ingredients. Enjoy!
(Oh, and Pampered Chef plug: I use THIS to make ramen in. Four minutes in the microwave and viola! Done to perfection.)
Friday, April 24, 2009
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Can you guess what this is a picture of? I'll give you a hint: See all those knives? I bet one of them was used to debone a chicken on air. We saw lots of things, but this was my favorite. The boys indulged me and let me take a few pictures, but I couldn't really get a good look at much.
See that? Yeah, that's what happened on the way home. Our bus driver rear-ended this truck. The bus was moving 5 miles per hour, and did't even get a scratch. Needless to say, it caused quite a stir. Here's the friendly policeman who boarded a bus full of antsy fifth graders to make sure everyone was ok. I think I made him blush when I asked if I could take his picture for my blog. How many Police Officers, Firemen, and EMT's does it take? Really?As you can see, they were all terribly busy and didn't have a moment's rest. Whew, I am glad they were there.Potty break, fresh air, and simon says!Are we home yet? They were so happy to be on their way.
Want to hear something funny? Not funny ha ha. The school set up a new automatic notification system. The notification didn't go out to all the parents until 4:30 that their children wouldn't be at school for dismissal because of a minor traffic accident. Seriously? Duh! School let out at 3:45.