Sunday, November 2, 2008

what does 72 cups of sliced apples look like?

This!
I have my wonderful husband to thank for these 19 quarts of apple butter. Oh, and my kids. They helped him. What was my contribution? I made sausage biscuits for breakfast. I had other business to tend to yesterday. I had to get my iPod replaced.



So, while he was at home slaving away at the stove for hours upon hours, I was chillin' at the Apple Store in Columbia. I mean, I was involved with apples too. It's not like I totally ditched him. I was with him in (apple) spirit.



The taste? Perfect. Absoultely perfect. You can't get any better than this stuff. Want some? I'll give/send a jar to the person who can suggest the best creative way to use this stuff in an appetizer for my cookie party. (Note: I already tried vanilla-cinnamon custard tarts topped with apple butter, I didn't love them)

10 comments:

Monique said...

Warm Apple Butter over vanilla ice cream!!! :) It was delish. Quote from B "Mel's apple butter is the best I've EVER had!"

P.S. Thanks for tagging Slavka who now tagged me. thhhh! wink wink

Brandi said...

Here's my appetizer idea:

Use slices of good, rustic Italian bread (or even ciabatta). Spread two slices with apple butter. Place sliced turkey and cheese (I'd suggest swiss or provolone or a white mild cheddar) and peppered bacon between the slices and flatten/grill panini style. Cut the sandwich into appetizer size wedges.

Regular bacon will work, but peppered is better.

~Brandi

Marianne said...

Mo,

Last year, we ate fresh, hot apple butter over vanilla ice cream. It was fabulouso. However, I don't think it would work out for the party.

Marianne said...

yummmmm Brandi.

I like the combo of turkey and cheese with the apple butter. It kinda reminds me of turkey and cranberry sauce. I don't love bacon in a sandwich. I think I'd rather use a peppered turkey instead. What do you think? And definitely swiss. It has a little bite.

The Galan Family said...

How about apple butter with scones? That sounds yummy. I want a jar of that stuff. I've already missed out on Mel's mango salsa that Perry raved to me about.

Marianne said...

I'm not crazy about the idea of having scones at the party. Maybe if I decide to do a brunch. I'd rather have something that's more grab and go for the party.

Gosh, I'm picky.

Ariella said...

Ah Brandi, I miss your food! That sounds divine! and I LOVE bacon in my sandwiches. :P

I'm not one to ask for a recipe idea, but Mel already promised me a jar, so there.

Brandi said...

Peppered turkey would work. The salt in the bacon helps balance the sweetness of the apple butter, but if you're not a fan of bacon, leave it out. The pepper adds a nice kick.

I usually make this with blackberry jam, so I can't say I've ever actually tried it with apple butter. I'm just assuming it would be just as delicious.

Harmony said...

Yeah, you are picky woman! I'm drooling just over the suggestions!

You should make fruit pizza! I would make it on pita bread, use a kiwi, strawberries, an apple with apple butter as the sauce!

OH, and CINNAMON! ADD THAT!

You could put the apple on the outside, kiwis inside that and strawberries in the middle.

Dammit, now I want that. Guess I'll go eat melted Halloween candy instead. Can I come to this cookie party? :-)

Marianne said...

Sure you can come to the cookie party. It's in December, a couple of weeks before Christmas.