Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Realization

Ya know when you watch a movie or tv show and there is a team of two or more people and the 'leader'* is very controlling and doesn't take the advice of the other people in the group, even if it's a good idea. But then the 'leader' ends up taking their advice, but only after he twists things around like it was his idea in the first place? 

I was thinking about that today as I was vacuuming my house. (I do my best thinking while vacuuming.) I came to the realization that the 'leader' does that because he doesn't respect the people on his team. He doesn't have the confidence in himself to say, "Great point. Let's do that." He feels that by recognizing the other members' contribution, he diminishes his position as the superior member in the group. What he doesn't realize is that he is doing just the opposite. By not acknowledging the valid points of the members, he just makes himself look silly and inferior. Especially when he is called out on it. 

My challenge to you is to be more humble. If someone does something well, tell them. If they do it better than you, tell them. If they have a good idea, tell them. If their idea is better than yours, make sure you let them know. It's by encouraging the people around us to be better that we become better. How else could I be as awesome as I am? I'm surrounded by people that are far more awesomer than myself.

*self-proclaimed leader

4 comments:

Brandi said...

I wouldn't know. I've yet to find anyone who does anything better or has better ideas than I do.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what Brandi said (hehe).

But really, I love this post. Very insightful and spot-on.

Monique said...

This goes along the same lines as, You can't blow someone else's candle out to make yours seem brighter. It only gets brighter when more candles are being lit. Love it Marianne! And did I mention you'd be a great leader? I'd vote for you.

Oh... heehee... I was going to mention that there wasn't even any cussing in this post and was going to ask if you were okay, but then I got the WV: jakuss :)

Marianne said...

Ha Ha Ha. I'm fine Monique. Have you read my new blog? The cuss words are on there.