Monday, August 11, 2008

Monday Night dinner, yummm!

I know I've been in a cooking rut when my kids (Patricia) implore me to be creative again. So, I decided to suck it up and just do it. So, today I decided would be the day for my creative juices to flow. I promise, these are the only juices that got into the food. For dinner today, we had chicken and rice with an Indian/Middle Eastern flair. Want a recipe?

disclaimer: I didn't know that I was going to post this recipe, so I don't have any exact measurements. You all know my number. Call me if you have any questions.

  • chicken tenderloins, defrosted
  • curry powder
  • garam masala
  • garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic, pressed
  • salt
  • pepper
  • olive oil
  • honey

1. Put chicken in plastic bag
2. Add about 1 tsp of the curry powder, garam masala, and garlic powder. Salt and pepper according to your tastes. Add some olive oil and about 2 tbs honey.
3. Close bag and mix everything together. You should add enough olive oil to help everything mix together. If you don't have enough, your dry spices won't evenly distribute.
4. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. The longer the better.
5. Grill on high heat for about 5 minutes on each side. Pay close attention to the chicken. In order for the honey to really work its magic, you have to let it get really hot and caramelize on the chicken. However, no one likes dry chicken no matter how tasty it is. That's why you have to pay close attention to it. When it gets to the point that you think to yourself, "I should leave it on for one or two more minutes," that's when you take it off the fire. It's ready then. It's fork-tender and juicy. I know how it feels when it gets to this point. It's kinda hard to explain, but I'll show you the next time you're grilling (if you're close).

The rice? Saffron infused basmati rice with peas. Vivian and I loved it, Mimi not so much, Patricia wasn't crazy about it, Trystan still hasn't come inside to try it, and Mel's out of town. I'll get his verdict tomorrow. Live close and need saffron? I have a ton someone gave me and I'll never use all of it. Come get some and make my recipe soon.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

For those of you that live close, go grab some Saffron, literally the MOST EXPENSIVE spice out there... yummy and different. Very nice of you, Miss Marianne!! Now if only i could get closer, I'd have a personal trainer, and I'd get random goodness like a cupcake and some Saffron! :)

Marianne said...

I don't know if there are different kinds of saffron or not, but I got this from an Iranian family that we had dinner and a cooking lesson with a couple of years ago. I haven't used it at all, and she gave me a container of it. Like I said, I don't know if there are different kinds that are more expensive than others, but it tastes good, and that's what really matters.

Lucy, next time you are in my area, call me and get you some.

Lindsey said...

Where do you get Garam Masala? I have been looking for it. PS this is Vivian's nursury teacher.

Marianne said...

I got mine at the 'My Organic Market' (MOM) store on rt. 175 in jessup. In the produce section, they have a stand with bulk spices that you can get as much or as little you need. I have found that to be a great way to get unfamiliar spices in small quantities. It's pretty inexpensive to do it that way.