Monday, September 15, 2008

September 8, 1995

Mel and I got married. No, it wasn't a romantic wedding. I wouldn't even call it a wedding. We had a small ceremony at the courthouse in Savannah, GA. I was huge with child. My fingers were so big, Mel couldn't fit the ring on my finger. My mother came along, and got hit on by some old guy with gold teeth.



So, it's been 13 years and one week. I am not going to scan pictures of us when we were young and newlywed. You don't need to see those pictures. Just be secure in the knowledge that we look tons better now. I'll make a list of 13 things you might not have known about us.





  1. We met when we were in the Army. I lived next door to him in the barracks. So did his two previous girlfriends. Seriously.

  2. We love to go out to dinner. Nice, fancy dinners. We like to go to restaurants that have a dress code. We love good food.

  3. We also like to try out 'hole in the wall' places. So far, we've been lucky. For our anniversary, we went to the 'Blue Moon Cafe' in Baltimore. They serve breakfast and brunch. It's on Aliceanna St. in Fell's Point. VERY hole in the wall. (Guy Fieri from Food Network visited there on his show, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives)VERY delicious food. The place usually has a two hour wait. Luckily for us, we didn't have to wait at all. We just walked in and sat down. I can't wait to go back.

  4. Mel and I enjoy shopping. Really. We can go shopping for hours. It doesn't matter what it is. He loves clothes shopping. He'll even try on what I pick out for him to try on. I love it!

  5. We used to take dance lessons. We really enjoyed it. Until we decided that we couldn't afford it anymore. Bummer.

  6. We both love to play video games but never seem to have the time to do it anymore. I am better than him at most games.

  7. Mel is a handy guy. He isn't afraid to take apart most things. If it's fixable, he usually fixes it too. I really appreciate that about him.

  8. I love to cook and he loves to sample my cooking. He always eats whatever it is that I cook. Even if it's bad. Even if I don't eat it. He'll eat it. But it's usually not bad.

  9. We like to do outdoorsy things like bike riding, hiking, and camping.

  10. We take advantage of every opportunity to hang out alone together. Without kids.

  11. We are the only members of our families that belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

  12. Mel just recently taught me how to play the card game rummy. I totally smear him everytime we play.

  13. We like to travel. Alone. Without kids. We fantasize about what that will be like when we have the means and the opportunity to do that.


The rare occasion we had to travel alone. Hawaii baby!!

7 comments:

Slavka said...

Happy Anniversary!
I never would have guessed that you love to play video games (I can only imagine what Ryan would think of that- a kindred spirit!)
That is such a sweet pic of you and Mel. :)

Linds said...

Happy 13th! You guys are great and love that you shared these 13 things. We are with you for 2,3,9,13!

I can't wait to see what else you've been up to!

Harmony said...

Marianne, I think I love you. For realz. Even your anniversary posts are unconvential and fabulous. You and Mel are a wonderful couple--that Hawaii picture sums it all up! You two deserve each other (meant in the very, very best way!) :-)

Harmony said...

I'm sorry? He shops for HOURS? Mel, will you marry me?

SheL said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys are awesome =)

Monique said...

He REALLY likes it? Shopping?? wow. What a hunk. hubba hubba. (I feel like I can say that because I am a million miles away and you know I can't be hitting on him.) So what a cute couple and you for got how AMAZING you cook. I know you aren't modest... :) Just goooood! Here's to 75+ more years.

Ariella said...

You guys really are such an awesome couple...and totally fun! I'm with you on the whole...can't wait for the kids to be out of the house already!!! Happy Anniversary!