Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Back in the day...

People made their own beds. From wood. And ropes. And straw. Comfy.



Sometimes they just slept on a straw mat on the ground.
They did have cookbooks..
...but their kitchens left something to be desired.

Yes, they knitted, but only after they spun their own wool.

These guys were the original patriots. They granted us our independence from ...
these guys.




On Saturday, we went to a revolutionary war re-enactment. It was the first re-enactment I had ever been to. Mel and some of the kids have been to Gettysburg. Of course, Patricia was totally against it. You know, it's a 'family outing' and it's historical.

Translation: I might have fun and learn something. I hate it.

Naturally, she had a bad attitude at first, but once we got there, she defrosted. (She always has fun. It's the process of getting there that makes her drive us crazy.) After we walked around for a while and talked to people and snooped in on their tents, she asked if we could do it. You know, If we could be re-enactors. Are you serious? After I told her that we all would have to do lots of research and preparation in order to do it, she decided it wasn't worth the effort. Kinda. I still think she wants to do it.

6 comments:

Emily said...

You know that commercial..the one of the cruise and the mom is searching for something and it turns out to be her daughter's smile? That's exactly how Anissa is. Except, with her, she snaps and snips at us so bad we just leave her at home at her worst.

Marianne said...

Oh no, there's no leaving her at home. That's what she wants. I refuse to let her 'win' and stay home. No, she has to come with us evil or not.

Sarah said...

It really makes me wonder how my parents did it. My sister is just a year and a half younger than me, so they had to deal with two obnoxious teenage girls at the same time! It's a miracle we survived.

SheL said...

I like all your fun pics. You guys always get out and do the coolest stuff.

Kylene said...

That looks so cool. I've wanted to go to one of those, but I have a spouse who apparently was dragged to too many "family outings". Ah well.

Darcy said...

I love the pics. I love the teen age description...sooo perfect! I don't let Colten win either by staying home and avoiding family time. These kids are crazy anymore.