Monday, April 20, 2009

I can make lumpia! (Tuesday's recipe a day early)

This is one of my favorite foods. I don't get it often, because I don't know how to make it. So, when I discovered Naika's recipe blog last week, I was thrilled to try it. Most of you know Naika and know how sweet and generous she is. I believe this is her signature dish. For my birthday last year, she made some for me. That was such a thoughtful and delicious present. Ever since then, I have wanted to learn to make it. Now I know!
Rolling it up was easier than I thoughtI didn't realize that I wasn't supposed to cook the meat before I cooked it. Oh, well, it still tasted delicious. I'll do it the right way next time. Looks pretty good for a novice, huh?

This is an awesome recipe that you all should try. Follow the link above to her recipe.

8 comments:

Harmony said...

Oh, those look SO good! And look at you--taking pictures the whole time. Nice!

the ohana said...

Naika's comment-
As promised I'll do the critique :)
I dig the wrapper you used, I love the way you seasoned it. I think that it was a good idea that you browned that meat because the wrapper you used was thicker than the regular Lumpia wrapper. The only complain I have is where's the rest of the vegetables? :).

Mike's comment
- smelled delicious
- good texture
- well seasoned
- needs more veggie
- the wrapper goes well with beef

Marianne said...

I put what the recipe called for except I substituted green for red peppers. What did I need more of?

the ohana said...

I liked the green pepper, it complimented the flavor of the beef. I guess we just got the roll with more meat and less vegetable?? :)

Crystal said...

You could be a hand model.


I use peas and carrots and the peppers, maybe that would make it more veggie like.

Linds said...

Thanks for showing us Lumpia novices how to roll it. Now I'm less afraid to try it out. YEAH!

The Millers said...

...had never heard of these before! Looks yummy....have to say Lumpia doesn't really sound too savory (you kinda have to see the pictures to get it)

Brandi said...

My first attempt at making Lumpia was for Jamie R.'s baby shower at your house. They didn't turn out too badly, but then Naika came with a whole batch of HER homemade ones. I was terrified people would think my O.K. ones were hers (because hers were fabulous, not just O.K.).

I have a request for one of your cooking posts (or just e-mail me): How do you slice meat with the grain? I know that you're supposed to, but I don't know HOW to. I can't seem to be able to figure out which way the grain is going. Cooking really isn't my forte.