Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sea Angels!

I like to give my creations funny names if I can. This recipe is for angel hair pasta with seafood. It was a hit. Mimi picked out all of the seafood and gave it to Vivian. It doesn't have a very seafoody flavor, so if you have someone who doesn't like seafood, they should be able to pick it out and still enjoy the meal.

*This cooks fast, so don't start cooking until you are ready to eat. Be careful not to overcook this meal, because the seafood will turn to rubber and the pasta will turn to mush.

1 pound angel hair pasta
4 Tbs butter
1 pound scallops (bay scallops work best because they are small and cook fast)
1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup ham, cut into bite sized pieces (we used leftover Easter ham)
2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup ricotta cheese
parmesan cheese
parsley

  1. Put enough water to boil entire box of pasta. When water is almost boiling, proceed to next step.
  2. In large skillet, melt butter on medium heat. Add garlic, seafood, salt, and pepper. Increase heat to medium high, and cook for 5 minutes.
  3. Break noodles in half, and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, reserve water.
  4. When seafood is done, remove it to a separate bowl. It will continue cooking, so be sure not to overcook it in the pan. Brown ham in skillet for 2 minutes.
  5. After ham is browned, add pasta and ricotta cheese, combine well. Add pasta water, one ladle at a time, until throughly combined (if you don't add enough water, the pasta will be dry). Add seafood, mix gently.
  6. Turn out onto serving plate. Top with parmesan cheese and parsley.
  • You could add lump crabmeat in step 5, if you like. Just make sure not to mix too vigorously or the crabmeat will break up.
Once again, there's no picture. I just realized that I should take a picture before we eat it. I usually test the recipe on my family before I decide if it will be posted. However, by the time I have decided, the food is gone so I can't take a picture of the meal. Why haven't I figured this out before?

No comments: