Wednesday, October 27, 2010

This post is brought to you by the letters 'M' and 'V'





When is the last time you received a letter in the mail? When was the last time you wrote one?

Yesterday, my fantastic Mimi got a letter in the mail from her best friend in the world. She was sick yesterday, so this handwritten letter was the perfect thing that she needed to make her feel better. As soon as she finished reading it, she set to work writing back.

It bothered me that she didn't know how to address the envelope. She didn't know where to put the stamp. Vivian wanted to play with the 'stickers'. I seldom write letters. Occasionally, I'll buy a funny card and write a note to a girlfriend. I never get mail unless it's a bill. Thats no fun.

As easy as it is to tap out an email, text, or post on facebook, it's that much harder to sit down for 15 minutes and write a letter. You have to find the envelopes. If you're lucky enough to have those, you might be able to mail your letter if you can afford a stamp. As expensive as a book of stamps is you'd better make sure that you really like the person that you're wasting that stamp on. Then the address. Who keeps an address book anymore? I either remember your address or I ask you for it when I need to send you something. It's such a process to go through just to make someone's day brighter. It's no wonder why people don't do it much anymore.

When was the last time you wrote a letter? Who wants to be my pen pal?

*I'm not right handed. The picture looked bad lefty. Not that there is anything wrong with lefties. I am one myself. It just didn't look right for the effect I was trying to achieve.



10 comments:

Brandi said...

Weird--I knew right away that that was your hand and not a picture you stole from Google images.

Anyway, do checks made out for sexual favors count as hand written notes?

Because other than that, I'm pretty sure the last actual handwritten letter I wrote was back in January to the owner of the Bad Girls' Weekend house in North Carolina, thanking him for the discount and the little extras he left for us.

Before that, I wrote a short note to Harmony when I was trying to cure her cancer with Ninja Jesus band aids, and most of that was probably apologizing for my crappy handwriting.

So, no. I guess I'm not much of a hand written letter person.

Anonymous said...

I have to send letters on occasion to clients and others who don't have access to the internet. Kind of a pain and much slower than the alternatives. Of course, I don't hand-write them because my handwriting is not always the most legible - depending on the day.

I have a brother living far away. We're close and email each other at least weekly. I love getting his emails almost instantaneously after he clicks "send." It makes it easier to write more often. So yeah, I love getting the occasional thoughtful card in the mail (esp when they include checks ...). But I don't really miss hand-written letters or snail mail all that much these days.

Sarah said...

Hey I'm a lefty too!

I wrote letters to Whig when he was in Korea and Iraq. Dirty letters mostly...

I also wrote a few letters in response to customers who had written me a letter. Can I just say, if you have ever bought something from etsy or from a small business, write them a letter. It doesn't have to be super long or fancy -just drop them a line saying you like their product/customer service/prices/whatever. It will totally make their day.

Linds said...

I haven't in forever. It's sad it's a lost art. I used to write my grandma letters ALL the time because I knew she loved them and I loved to them them from her. We did write letters to my Brother-in-law while he was in Iraq [and our girls made their contributions].

Brandi said...

Ooh, I wrote lots of dirty letters to Will when he was in Iraq and Afghanistan.

That's an art form in itself--dirty letter writing.

LoJo said...

A friend and I were just talking about this recently. I'm not good at the "writing" part because of my hands, but I have taken up sending birthday cards and post cards recently. Just to bring back some old traditions and because Dollar General has kick-ass cards for $1!

I love that you took an "artsy fartsy picture JUST for your blog.

Jared and Lydia said...

Actually, I'm one of the last old-fashioned letter writers. Of course I wrote Jared when he was in Iraq, but still I write a nephew of mine every month. And every so often I'll have the kids write letters to their friends or (usually) their grandparents. I love getting letters, it's quite awesome.

Of course, as much as I try, my kids still don't quite get the process. Today I came home to see that they had put "stickers" all over the rocket ship they were making out of an old box. The stickers? Yup, stamps they had lifted off my desk. I want to mail that damn rocket ship to someone just to get my money's worth.

greta said...

i write letters all the time. it's my favorite thing to do. aubrey writes letters almost weekly to her grandma and best cousin. i'm old-fashioned i guess. i just love the feel and look of different textured paper and i'm a bit obessed at finding the perfect pen. in fact, i have a pen for every occasion. a pen to write out checks, a pen for letters to my best friend and a pen for thank you cards etc. i'm weird like that. it's funny because as much as i write letters, i never get letters back. except for my mother. she sends me letters only because i won't talk with her any other way. and i don't like letters from my mother....

Marianne said...

I'm picky about the pens I use too. I pretty much can only write with one brand/style of pen. Nothing else feels right in my hand. People think I am crazy. I am glad I'm not the only one. I also don't like to share my pens. Know what else is weird? I have them all over the place, hidden in different nooks and crannies so I always have one when I need it. And when I forget where they are (inevitable), then 'find' it again, it's like Christmas.

greta said...

i totally hide pens around too! yet i never seem to find them when i need one. and i too get super excited when i finally find them. i'm like that with paper too. i love different kinds of paper but never seem to have a piece when i need it. unless i have my backpack with me. well then, i have TONS to choose from.