Thursday, December 9, 2010

Are the Greek gods really any different?

So, the other night, I was watching Clash of the Titians. (don't judge me) While I was watching it, I realized that those multiple gods are the same as the one god that Christians believe in now. They were very involved (interfered) in the lives of the people of ancient Greece. They routinely came down from their holy Mount Olympus to mingle with humans. The humans both feared, and adored their gods. Much of what they did was done to please the gods. Here is my shitty analysis of the most 'popular' gods and goddesses. 

Thanks to the all-knowing Wikipedia

Athena - She was the goddess of wisdom, warfare, strategy, heroic endeavour. Maybe she was the one who helped the stripling warriors. 

Demeter - Goddess of fertility, agriculture, horticulture, grain and harvest. How many stories of people praying to god for a good harvest? Or rain? Maybe it was Demeter who helped them. You don't know.

Eros - He was the god of love, sexual intercourse, cupids, desire and pleasure. Years ago, when Vivian was a baby, I didn't want to have sex. Go figure. One night, I prayed to HF for him to help me feel sexy toward my husband and help me enjoy sex. It worked. But perhaps I have Eros to thank. 

Hera - Queen of Heaven and goddess of marriage, women, childbirth, heirs, kings and empires. Well, fuck me! There's our Mother in Heaven! So, when I prayed about having the fourth kid, it was Hera who made me feel all warm and fuzzy about it. Thank Goddess!

Poseidon - God of the sea, rivers, floods, droughts, earthquakes and horses; known as the "Earth Shaker" or "Storm Bringer". Hmmmmmmm... Perhaps Noah was 'in' with Poseidon and that's why he built the arc and survived the flood (conspiracy theory). Maybe Jesus was Poseidon in disguise. I mean, he was able to walk on water. His apostles were fishermen. He caused terrible earthquakes when he died. 

I just threw this post together in 30 minutes before I have to go to work. Please fill in where I may have left off. Which one do you identify with most?

 May Hermes deliver me safely to and from my home today. 

7 comments:

Urban Koda said...

I think me and Eros need to have a wee chat... Of course since Hera obviously meddled and inserted kid #5 by way of a surprise, perhaps that is the real reason...

I need to find Atalanta's masculine counterpart - that my feet may be swift.

Brandi said...

I suppose I'd identify with Hestia (although I'm more down with the Roman versions, where she is known as Vesta). She's the goddess of hearth, home, domesticity, cooking and architecture.

"Of the Olympian gods, Hestia has the fewest exploits 'since the hearth is immovable, Hestia is unable to take part even in the procession of the gods, let alone the other antics of the Olympians,' Burkert remarks. Sometimes this is assumed to be due to her passive, non-confrontational nature. This nature is illustrated by her giving up her seat in the Olympian twelve to prevent conflict."

Maybe she's the patron Goddess of Relief Society?

I aspire to identify with Athena, goddess of wisdom, warfare, strategy, heroic endeavor, handicrafts and reason.

Brandi said...

Koda-I can't open your blog (Think Tank, I have no problems with your other blogs). My malware protection (Malwarebytes) started blocking it this morning. You may have some sort of bug in there somehow. I wanted to read how you were outed, and now I can't. :)

Urban Koda said...

Interesting... It's hosted on blogspot, just like my others. I wonder if someone reported the url or something... I'll keep poking around and see if I can find anything - might try it through Malwarebytes as well, when I get home. The "outing" post is just half the story... I'll have to tell you the full story sometime!

Anonymous said...

The Greek gods/goddesses were hotter and sexier. They wore those sexy togas and push-up metal bras. They weren't so hung up about sex. But, like the Mormon god, they were also arbitrary assholes.

I like Athena. She kicks ass and looks good doing it. Maybe I'll start praying to her.

Just Zena said...

I have to agree with CD, those goddesses knew how to dress. I want that metal bra.

Marianne said...

Are you talking about the warrior princess? Because hell yeah!