Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Banana yummy deliciousness

First off, let me tell you that I'm not really a fan of bananas. I know that might be hard to believe because I have made banana cake twice in 9 days, and because I have another banana recipe this week. These are really the only things banana that I eat. That said, let me tell you a little story before I get to the recipe.

Is there one food that you always have at every family gathering, no matter what the occasion? Thanksgiving, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July- there is always the same dish that has no 'season'? In my family growing up, it was deviled eggs and potato salad. In my current family we don't have one because we usually spend those holidays with the Brown-Baughan family in West Virginia. But in that (adopted) family, the dish is 'Marianne's banana pudding'.

I brought it over for some family event we were invited to when we first moved to WV, and it was a huge hit. So, I made it for the next event. Then, the next time I was invited, they requested it! Pretty much after that I wasn't allowed to come over unless I made this stuff. I've tried to teach other family members to make it, but they won't. So now, I've bestowed my knowledge upon my sweet Mimi. She made this on Sunday, and it was yummy delicious!

1 big box of vanilla pudding
3 cups milk
1 cup sour cream
Small tub cool whip
2 bananas, sliced
Box of vanilla wafers

1. Mix pudding and milk until smooth. Add half of the sour cream and cool whip. Mix well. Add bananas, mix gently. Mix remaining sour cream and cool whip. Set aside.
2. In 9" square glass baking dish, place one layer of wafers. Spread pudding mixture, then layer wafers. Top with cool whip mixture. Garnish with additional vanilla wafers and bananas, if desired. Refrigerate at least three hours. (I usually make it the night before)

**if you want to double this recipe, use 5 cups milk and 1 1/2 cups sour cream

4 comments:

Dasha said...

oh the southerners love their banana pudding. my mil makes it with sweetened condensed milk. i think i'll try it with the sour cream though. what does that actually do to the flavor?

Marianne said...

I guess it makes it a little less sweet. I can't eat it with sweetened condensed milk.

Actually, I used to make it with cream cheese to give it a cheesecakey taste, but I kept getting lumps because my cream cheese was too cold. Yuck! That's why I started using sour cream.

SheL said...

I will definitely have to try this... I have been searching for a good banana pudding recipe because I LOVE it! I should have just asked you to begin with!

Darcy said...

I'm loving your recpies. Still thinking a picture would be a wonderful touch.