Friday, March 20, 2009

I am my own twin

Ok, not really, but it sounds better than, "I am my own realtor."

We have been on the hunt for a place to move for about a month now, but it has really been in the back of our minds for the past three years. Why? Schools.

I've been homeschooling the oldest for the past three years, and though it may sound thrilling, it's not. Needless to say, I am not up to the challenge of homeschooling my two oldest. Not while there is a three year old running around. I guess I could homeschool her too. While I'm at it with the three, why not keep the eight year old home?

Because I'm not made like that!!

And I am ok with that knowledge. Sometimes I feel guilty because I could do it. I am smart enough. I am their mother, after all. Other people do it all the time. With more kids!!!

Is there something wrong with them? Or is it just me?

I guess it's good that I know my boundaries. I know how far I can go. Sometimes, I think that it wouldn't be that bad. Sometimes, I think it might even be fun. Sometimes I bleach my hair too. That doesn't mean I should do it.

So, I'm not. I'm moving so I can send my kids to good schools. I can send them to safe schools. I might even send them to the school that was my high school's rival. How cool is that?

9 comments:

Brandi said...

I think I'm your twin, too, because I feel exactly the same way. I am capable of homeschooling, but it would be an unpleasant experience for all involved.

We live in a tiny, crappy house so that we could live in the county with the best schools. It's worth it, especially when I hear my friends who live on post talk about the schools there (a different county).

Hey--you can't totally hate your hair. You are my inspiration--in 3 hours I will finally be a red head. I have wanted to be a red head since I was 7 years old. It took you going blond to convince I could do it.

Marianne said...

no, I don't hate my hair. It actually looks kinda cool now because it's black with blonde tips. It's much darker and so my black eyebrows don't look wierd. I get tons of compliments all the time.

I'm glad to inspire you to change your hair. I mean, it won't look worse than my orangey first attempt. I can't wait to see pictures.

Slavka said...

I think something is wrong with them! Or maybe their kids are angels that study hard and want to be home schooled (but then would that mean something is wrong with their kids??)

Monique said...

Sooooo I can homeschool preschool and MAYBE up to 2nd grade, but more than that and I would go insane in the membrane!! I think my kids would too. Public schools CAN be good. You have to search for them nowadays... good luck!

Lucy said...

Ditto!

Which is why I moved to Hanover, hey, I have a house for sale in Hanover! :)

Dasha said...

i appreciate you writing this. i think about this all the time. so are the schools on meade really that bad? i guess that's good to know because it's very possible for us to go back. where are you looking at moving to?

Marianne said...

Hmmmmm. Thanks Lucy, but we are allergic to living so far away from work. (and friends)

Dasha,
The elementary schools are fine. It's the middle and high schools that are scary.

Brandi said...

One thing I've learned as Ben has progressed through grades is that it's really the teacher, not always the school. Ben had the BEST second grade teacher at West Meade Elementary (Mr. Borowski), even though the principal there is evil and suggested an exorcism would be more beneficial than counseling (seriously--I wish I was just making a joke). But then his third grade teacher was awful. And here in Georgia he goes to a great school with a great principal. It's in a very poor area, so they get a ton of extra money and programs, which is good. Also, he has the most amazing teacher ever, even better than Mr. B.

So, there are no guarantees. You just need to be involved and know what's going on and speak up when you need to, and supplement when you need to (for example, there's no music program for elementary grades in our county, so he takes private lessons).

Marianne said...

Brandi,

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....