Tuesday, March 24, 2009

It doesn't all really go together

That's ok, because we didn't eat it all together.



Curried potato salad


  • 2 1/2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered

  • 1 small carrot

  • 2 celery stalks

  • 6 green onions

  • salt and pepper to taste

  • 2/3 cup sour cream

  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise

  • 1/2 tsp curry powder

  • optional: golden raisins***


  1. Cook potatoes until just done. They should be cooked but firm. The skins should not be falling off of the potatoes and they should not be smushy.

  2. Finely chop carrot, celery, and green onions. (click the link. buy the food chopper from Shelly)

  3. Put all ingredients minus the potatoes in a large bowl and mix well. *You can use all mayo or all sour cream, or reduced fat, or fat free stuff if you want. I don't think it would take away from the taste much. I just prefer sour cream, and I put mayo in it because it's potato salad, and what's potato salad without mayo?

  4. Gently mix potatoes into mayo mixture.

***I didn't use raisins when I made this the other day, but if I had golden raisins at my house, I would have used them. If you want to use them, I suggest only starting with 1/4 cup. I just thought that the sweetness would go well with the curry powder. Don't use regular raisins though, that might look gross and no one will want to eat it.


How to cook the best Salmon in the world:



  1. Marinate it. You can use whatever makes you feel good. Just make sure you add some kind of sugar. The sugar caramelizes when you grill it, and it gets a delicious crust around the edges.

  2. Grill it. I don't ever cook fish inside my house unless it's fish sticks. I can't stand the way it makes my house smell fishy for days.

  3. Make sure the skin is on. There is a ton of good oil in the skin. Remember #1 when I said you get a good crust around the edges? The skin does two things for that crust. It adds oil to the heat so the edges get 'fried'. But most importantly, the skin keeps the yummy crusty stuff from falling off. I don't remember which side I cook first. You will have to experiment on that part.

  4. This last tip might be hard for some of you. But trust me!!! I would not lead you astray. You should cook the fish to the point that makes you think to yourself, "I just need to cook it a couple more minutes, then it'll be done." Take it off then!!!!! The reason why, is because it continues to cook even after you have taken it off the heat. If you leave it on the grill until it's done, by the time it gets to the table, it's overcooked. If you do it enough, you will be able to gently poke the fish and know when it's done because of how much it 'gives'. I do this for chicken, burgers, fish, you name it. Just think of it this way, if it's not cooked enough, you can always put it back on the fire.

marinades I like



  • korean bbq sauce

  • raspberry vinagrette

  • honey, garlic, soy sauce

  • honey, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper

  • get the idea?

The yummy banana cake with cream cheese frosting and nuts. I just smooshed chopped walnuts around the edges. It tasted better the next day, and the day after, and the day after, and the day after. Now it's gone!

9 comments:

Harmony said...

I honestly just went and bought the potato salad stuff--I'm feeding it to the missionaries tonight!

Thank you!!

Monique said...

I am making Salmon tomorrow!! Thanks babe. You gave me the motivation that I need. Kosonem Szapen! (Thank you very much!)

Harmony said...

HOLY CRAP! I just finished making it (and of course, tasting!) People, this is SO good! I made it exactly how the recipe states (because I'm a follower like that!)

Score one for you, Marianne! Thanks!!!!

Marianne said...

harmony,

Didja use the raisins? I'm glad you liked it.

Harmony said...

No, raisins make me gag! Ugh, I'm gagging a little just thinking about them. Sorry!

Brandi said...

I don't know if I can take the fish off before I think it's done. I don't think I can do it...

Marianne said...

that's cool harmony. I'm not committed to that idea anyway. I'd probably be the only one in the world to eat it.

Brandi,
Suit yourself. It works. That's all I can say. It's not like the fish is still slimy and raw. It's just to the point where you want to cook it more "just to make sure..." that's when you take it off.

But I don't really care. If you want your fish all dried out, that's your business. Mine's nice and juicy.
(tmi?)

Brandi said...

The completely irrational thing is that I've eaten salmon sashimi and liked it (thanks, Ariella). So I don't know what my problem is.

Kylene said...

The cake looks really yummy. I'm going to pass on the other recipes to Matt who will most likely love them. Curry is a big favorite in our house right now. Do you have any good curry pasta or rice dishes?