Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What a Great Deal!

Top 5 reasons why I love the Commissary:
  1. You can get food for cheap. Well, cheaper than at the 'regular' grocery store. Since they don't mark up the food to make their money, you pretty much pay cost. That's why they have a surcharge.
  2. You can get SUPER HUGE GREAT DEALS!!! Like the time I got some yummy kind of cereal ( I can't remember the brand) for an amazingly great price like 35 cents per box. Boy o boy did I have my year's supply for that year. Who needs dried beans and whole wheat? We had cereal. It was great until it started to go stale. Then I couldn't make my kids eat that crap. Whose great idea was getting all that stuff anyway?
  3. Three words: Case lot sale. I actually think it's more hype than it's really worth. I mean, after you spend an hour in line just to get into that big tent, and at least another hour waiting for a stupid shopping cart, and AT LEAST another hour waiting in line to pay for the case of brownie mixes and pop tarts that end up sitting around for a year because you just didn't feel like eating them after 6 months of eating the same flavor pop tart, you'd be better off just going into the store and buying just one or two packages at a time. Seriously, is it really that great of a deal?
  4. You can get bags and bags of candy for a dollar. I love to go to the commissary after the holidays. I mean, 2 pounds of peanut M&M's for $1? I don't really even like M&M's, and I buy them. I just bought several bags of Reese's Pieces eggs. Heaven, pure heaven I tell you. I love them. The extra thick candy shell and all that peanut butter!!! I ate 2/3 of a bag the other night for dinner (I never claimed to be a healthy eater). I can't resist a good deal. Especially if it's candy.
  5. Unless it's cookies. Tonight, I went for the emergency gallon of milk and fresh fruit because I don't have anymore and my kids need something healthy for breakfast and I am putting off grocery shopping so I'll just get these couple of things to tide me over for a few more days until I just break down and get a full load. Well, the last time I went to the commissary to get the candy (see #4 above), I noticed that the Pillsbury ready to bake bunny shaped Easter cookies were selling for 95 cents. I knew that was a good price, but there were stacks and stacks of them in the refrigerator. So, I decided to take a gamble and play the waiting game. I knew a better price was still yet to come. So, tonight when I went through I noticed a coupon: save $1 when you buy 2. HA! I knew it! So, I paid $1.90 for four packages of sugar cookies. I know I am all into making baked goods from scratch, but there's just something kinda wonderful about those little bunny cookies. I just love them. That's why I downed 10 of them before I realized what I had done. That happens whenever there are cookies involved.
So there you have it! What do you all love about the commissary? Harmony, I bet you love that milk only costs $5 per gallon instead of $7.

Happy food shopping!

11 comments:

Emily said...

I do miss that huge wall of candy that you would slowly inch past as you made your way to the checkout!

Little Mama said...

Why is it always the cereal we get a TON of? We have so many Fruity Cheerios, the kids are sick of them! At $ .25 a box, how could I pass it up?

Marianne said...

Bring the cheerios to nursery. Vivian loves them. I'll buy a couple boxes from you.

Monique said...

You military people and your commissary. :) The one and only time I went was with Desiray and we were getting Fajita stuff. At least I can go in the mini one in Hungary.

Crystal said...

meat is uber cheap at the commissary. I had no idea the insane cost of meat until I tried to buy some when the commissary was closed.

Harmony said...

Ha ha ha! You thought you were being funny about a 7 dollar gallon of milk. Sigh--the cost of paradise.

I LOVE the commissary! And now I want cookies. Thanks, woman.

The Galan Family said...

Love the commissary too. Whenever we go on vacation, we are stunned by the real cost of food outside of our little bubble. The other day I got 8 packages of lil' smokies for like four bucks! It was some special where you get 2 packs for 90 cents. Now we don't eat those regularly, but you know if a party comes up I can get them out of the freezer. I like the sushi bar too.

Marianne said...

Hmmmmm. lil' smokies.... I am having a couple of people over tonight. Maybe I'll go and check that out. I love those things wrapped in a crescent roll!

Ariella said...

I've never been a great bargain shopper, but there was this guy in front of me a the PX buying what must have been 20-30 bottles of cleaner, then he proceeded to hand the cashier a wad of coupons...about ten minutes later she says, "that wil be 37 cents." Gotta love military bargains. It was inspiring and annoying at the same time.

Lucy said...

I'm sorry. I do NOT like the commissary yes, it's cheap, I'll give it that. But it's not very clean, and it's always crowded, and I have to tip the baggers... I wish they took a debit card. Anyway, I shouldn't be so pessimistic. HOWEVER, I have been reading the Coupon Mom, and I swear, I'm saving a TON, so maybe I'm o.k. without the Commissary!

Hope said...

I really appreciated the commissary when we were overseas (even though when in Germany, the nearest commissary was in another country!).

But I am FRUSTRATED right now since ours, at least, has changed to the 'world-wide' arrangement - and they have stopped carrying a whole LOT of things that I, at least, STILL WANT. BOOOOO!!!!