Friday, August 20, 2010

New? Or just new to you?

You might have read yesterday's post and thought something (either good or bad) about the 'new' Marianne. I just need to let you all know something: THIS SHIT AIN'T NEW! This is me with my ass hanging out! This is the me that has been hiding under the past 12 years of pressure to be a 'good girl'. I've been holding the hell back for far too long. I'm done.

I am happy. Happier than I have been in a long time. I am free. I feel like I have real connections with people. I'm done putting on a happy face and having superficial conversations. I am finally getting to genuinely know people I have been acquainted with for years.

I guess this seems drastic to some of you. For others, it's no surprise. Understand it or not, it is.


5 comments:

LoJo said...

Are the planets in some sort of special alignment lately?

Myself and another friend have been discussing all of these same things about superficial friendships. Fake friendships. FB friendships.

I too, recently said I'm done with all of that! It means my friendship circle is once again non-existant, but I'd rather have 2 real friends than 50 fake ones!

So, go you! Keep on with your bad self!

Marianne said...

I am fine with FB. I realize that I have FB 'friends', and real life friends. The superficial relationships of facebook are fine as long as you recognize that for what it is.

What I'm done with is the pretending to be something you're not and having friends under those false pretenses.

I remember getting to know a new friend and laying it all out for her: I cuss, listen to rap music, and talk about sex. If you can handle that, then we can be friends. She (thankfully) enjoyed the same hobbies. It was great to get that out of the way from the start rather than pretend.

Brandi said...

See, if you had said that to me that day you invited me to lunch at the park I wouldn't have sat there like a mute the whole time.

Marianne said...

So it's my fault? Besides, I hadn't gone through my midlife crisis yet. I don't think I cussed at that time. How old were Amelia and Vivian?

Brandi said...

They were almost 2, I think. It was 2007.

And OF COURSE it was your fault. nothing is ever MY fault. :)