Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ok Assholes - the remix

I wrote and posted and deleted all within the space of a few minutes last night. I'll leave the 'why' up to your imagination. However, I will give you a hint. Shiraz was involved. So here's another try, bitches! (oh yeah, and the hard Marianne cusses. A LOT. get used to it)

Yesterday, was my son's birthday. You all know him, right? He has been alive for 12 years and one day. This information is important. Remember it. Mel and I had decided on his name months earlier. We didn't know if it was going to be a girl or boy, so we picked out both boy names and girl names. We were prepared. Or so we thought. One thing we didn't discuss was how we were going to spell the names. I figured that since his first and last names were pretty straightforward, it wasn't necessary to collaborate on the spelling. WRONG!!

He spelled my son's name with a 'y'. A damn 'y'?!? WTF? That's a fuckin' gay-ass way to spell a boy's name. T-r-y-s-t-a-n. That's not how you spell it. It's supposed to be T-r-i-s-t-a-n, dummie. But I got over it. I'm ok with it now. Partially.

People usually misspell it the first time they write it. When this happens, one of three things will happen. 1. I correct them on the spot. 2. I make sure they get the chance to see the correct spelling so they know. 3. I do nothing because it's not important. Almost always, I do nothing. People spell names wrong all the time, and it's not a BFD.

Except, if you are a member of the family. There are some things people should know. How to spell your grandson's name is one of them. In my case, there are only two grandsons. My kid was the first one. Not only that, but he was the second grandchild born into this family. So why the hell does his grandmother consistently spell his name T-r-y-s-t-o-n? I am sure that she has been told how to spell his name. He's 12. She has had 12 years to get it right. What's the problem?

I blame my husband. It's Mel's stupid fault for fucking up the spelling in the first place. HMMMMM, now I know where he gets it from.

11 comments:

Brandi said...

Someone is an angry little elf when she's hungover. :)

But yeah, a grandmother should be able to spell her grandson's name, especially after 12 years.

Marianne said...

Didn't I tell you!

white wine=hangover

Shiraz=red wine

Brandi said...

Says the angry wino.

Monique said...

My mom STILL writes my maiden name. I AM MARRIED!! But it hasn't been 12 years yet, so she is forgiven until then. Then you can write my blog post...

Harmony said...

I'm loving the unleashed Marianne.

Blake spelled Colin wrong while filling out paperwork (Collin? NOPE!) and I threw a little fit. You're a much better wife than me!

Can't wait for the next entry!! ;-)

Jared and Lydia said...

I don't know, TRYSTON sounds kinda Star Trekky, like he could be a Klingon warrior or something. Something to think about, if that whole doctor/lawyer goal falls through.

But yeah, a grandmother should probably know the difference. But here's the main point. This was for his birthday, right? So did she send MONEY? Because, my friend, if she sent money, then all is forgiven. She can address the envelope to frickin' Xena the Warrior Princess, and as long as the check clears, it's all good. Priorities.

Kylene said...

I agree with Lydia. My mother in law spelled Michael wrong for three years. She addresses Mad's stuff as Maddie because she doesn't know how to spell her name. Despite my constant reminders. And she has completely forgotten both their birthdays twice. At least she's remembering HIM! That's what I tell myself :)

Ariella said...

snicker...angry little elf. A L E
is it a sign?

Brysen just got his $5 in the mail. I think it's just an old people thing.

Marianne said...

lol! Brysen?!

A L E, whatchutalkinboutwillis?

Ariella said...

The acronym for Angry Little Elf.

I know, dumb. But in my head I thought it was funny.

SheL said...

So wait... I'm confused...? Do you spell it with Y or I? ;)