Tuesday, August 10, 2010

what is it about me?

The other week, I was having a conversation with a good friend about me. Yeah, I was talking about myself. Specifically, why people think I don't like them. I don't know if we really nailed down the reason(s), so I figured that it would be a good idea to ask you all. I can take it. Whatever you have to say. Really. I wouldn't ask unless I wanted to hear what people thought. So go ahead- I can handle it.

But before you tell me about myself, I need to let you in on a few bits of information:
  1. I don't gossip. If you do something that I don't like/don't agree with, I'll either tell you to your face, or I will keep it to myself. If I talk about you behind your back, it's to say something kind, or ask about you. I don't talk dirt.
  2. I don't dislike anyone. There are some people I click with better than others. There are some people I don't click very well with, and that's normal. If you know that we don't click very well, please refer to #1.
  3. If you ask my opinion, I'm going to give it to you. Occasionally, I'll give it to you even if you don't ask for it. The honest one. If I ask your opinion, I expect that you'll give me the honest one. (otherwise, why would I ask?) I'm sorry in advance if I'm tactless. Some people have the gift of being able to filter their thoughts before the words escape their mouth. I am not always blessed with this gift. (understatement)
  4. I am sarcastic. However, I am not mean spirited. I do not mean to hurt your feelings. If my sarcasm is too much for you to handle, please tell me. I'll stop. Or at least make a super good-faith effort to be less sarcastic to you.
  5. I am bossy. GASP! BUT, I can take orders too. I like to be bossed around also. And convinced to do things. I don't have to be in charge. If I boss you, and you don't want to be told what to do, just tell me NO. I can take it!
  6. I don't have to be the best. I mean, I do know I am awesome. But just because I am freakin' awesome, doesn't mean that I don't think you are freakin' awesome too. I enjoy my friend's successes. I am truly and genuinely happy for you when something awesome happens to you. I like to tell my friends how proud I am of their accomplishments. I like to tell my friends about my accomplishments that I'm proud of. If I do a good job at something, I own it (Thursday at Bowie State-I rocked my presentation). If I suck at something, I own that too (The swim event during my first and probably only triathlon-it really was embarrassingly awful and slow and awful).
That's me in 6 paragraphs. I know those things are what makes me "Marianne". I mostly love myself, so I don't plan to change who I am. I just want to improve my relationships with you bitches.

MWAH!

13 comments:

greta said...

this is why i LOVE you. i swear are you sure we're not twins? those 6 paragraphs describe me too. except i don't think i'm that awesome and think most everyone else is better. oh, and while you have the courage to just say what you're thinking i tend to keep my mouth shut. mostly all the time. but i totally will be honest to a fault and i too expect the same of others.

i don't know why people think you don't like them. maybe it's because of those 6 paragraphs? i don't know, people are retarded. that's why i avoid them most of the time.

oh, and i love the new look of your blog. sorry it took me a while to comment on it....

okay, i'm almost done. angela was wanted to get together with vivian. we should do that.

Marianne said...

Thanks Greta. Why don't we hang out more often?

I have my own personal thoughts about 'why', but I'm going to keep them to myself for now.

Brandi said...

People think you don't like them?

I'm one of those paranoid people that ALWAYS thinks that people don't like me, but I never got that vibe from you.

I'm interested in seeing what other people think it might be.

Marianne said...

Yeah, they do think that. I usually don't find that out for a while.

It's not that I am sitting around thinking people don't like me. I think people do like me. It's the part where they don't think I like them that bothers me.

After the fact, I hear, "That's just Marianne. You'll get used to her."

Shit. I am still getting used to me.

Monique said...

The cool thing about you is that I already knew those things about you and they are the reasons why I DO like you. So just don't change just because people think you don't like them. Remember my slap on your rear?? Hoooowee! I got the message that that is a BIG no-no, but you know, sometimes you just gotta slap that nice bootie. But you know what else? You fed my family a few times when we needed it, you throw some kickin parties, you were always willing to help out when asked, and you are also a great friend who would do anything for your friends. I think the only thing I would suggest is that you need to post more pictures. Hello? Adoring fans waiting!! Oh and quit being so selfish with your bootie.

Linds said...

I think you're awesome because of those reasons you listed. I love that your a confident woman that will be real and say what's on your mind. I think that's awesome. So I don't know why others would think otherwise. Maybe they just can't handle real people...

Sarah said...

I'm thinking it's because you intimidate them. Seriously. You are a fun, confident, real person. You like who you are. You aren't afraid to be 100% honest to or about yourself or anyone else. You can give your opinion freely. People recognize your ability to be completely at home with yourself. They see that you're an awesome person and they know you know you're an awesome person. Then, the less confident ones think you knowing you're awesome = you thinking they are less than awesome. Thus, they think you don't like them.
Make sense?

Marianne said...

@Sarah- yes? It makes sense?

@Mo- only in certain situations is slappng my ass ok. You and I haven't ever found ourselves in any of those situations. I'm positive that we never will. If you must touch tha' booty, squeeze it. I like that better. ;-)

@Linds- I think you're on to something. Confident and real. I do think most people aren't used to dealing with people who are mostly honest. If I don't have anything to say to you(or whoever) I'm not going to speak. I'll say hi, but I don't DO small talk. I think it's things like that people don't know how to take.

Jared and Lydia said...

See, I never though you DISLIKED me (or other people), I just got the vibe that you had your thing going - your family, your friends, your interests - and were happy with your thing and didn't really feel the need to alter your thing, including incorporating new people into it. So maybe it's not that people think you dislike them so much as they don't think you LIKE them, or feel the need to get to know them. You do give off a vibe of being happy with your status quo.

Marianne said...

Great point, Lydia. I did have my own thing going. I didn't really 'need' anyone else. At least back when you were in MD. (point of ref. not personal) However, I was and am still always up for hanging out with girlfriends.

I must say, that over the past year, I have had to put myself 'out there' more than ever before because my neighborhood girlfriends don't exist anymore. We have all moved away, and I have had to go searching for girlfriends to hang out with. It has been a wonderful experience. Thankfully, I have found some pretty awesome and confident women who love me just the way I am. (what a relief)

You know what I think is so ironic? You, and several of my other 'blogfriends' are among the funniest and coolest friends I have. The suck part is that we all lived within a couple of miles of each other for the longest time without getting the chance to really know each other. I guess it's a good thing, because I don't know if the universe could have handled all of us together at once!!

SheL said...

So... I can't believe you got me reading blogs again... but you did ;)

I love all of those things about you. I love that I can be myself around you. I don't have to worry about offending you... because I know if I did/said something you didn't like you would tell me. My family is that way and I find it refreshing. You're awesome. We need to hang out more.

In response to your question I think people don't really know how to handle someone who is very direct. You hear people say all the time how they love someone who is blunt and honest... but in truth, most people don't REALLY want to hear the truth. They want you to sugar coat things and baby them.

Des said...

Wow, it's been awhile since I commented. sorry..sometimes I only have time to browse quickly. I just want you to know how much I ADMIRE all of your qualities. I think people do focus too much on trying to please others. You are so right.(GUILTY) When we do that you will not make "real" friends. I admit there were times I was a little intimidated by you. Just worried I would say or do the wrong thing around you. But I think you are a real genuine person. That is respectable in my book. Oh, and the very few times I hung around you. I thought you were a lot of fun:)

Marianne said...

@shel- Yes,and no. If you did/said something I didn't like maybe I would tell you, maybe not. Maybe it's just my problem that I didn't like what you did/said, and I need to deal with it, think it over, and decide that it's not a big deal. That's usually what happens. I don't like to make a big deal/confrontation unless it's worth it. Usually, it's not. And I usually get over it because most things just aren't personal. Shit. I know that. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But sometimes, people need to be told about themselves if they are way outta line.

For example(true story): I was having a conversation with some friends about new neighbors, and people moving in and out of houses on post. One person said, "I just hope the new people who move in are white." (pick up your jaw and close your mouth. It's not a good look)

I had to address that. On the spot. Right away. Because c'mon. Trashy, shitty, inconsiderate neighbors come in all colors. It's bad enough that she thought a black neighbor=bad neighbor. But to say it?! To a black woman!? No. Not acceptable. And I let her know. Dammit!

Usually, the people I deal with either don't think that way, or know better. Besides, I think you would have to try very hard to piss me off or make me mad. Really.