Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Glass Castle

Yes, I have read another book. I have at least 8 of them stacked up on my nightstand. So, for the next couple of weeks, you all are going to get book reports. Don't worry. It won't last too long. I am a fast reader. I read in spurts. I'll read nonstop for a couple of weeks and zip through a bunch of books, then not pick up a single book for a month. I think I'm a manic reader. Ok, On to the book and why you should read it.

Over the past couple of days while reading, all I could say was wow. I was amazed that what I was reading was an autobiography. I literally just finished reading it about 15 minutes ago. It is an incredible true story of a woman and her family who faced tremendous challenges such as poverty, alcoholism, mental illness, you name it.

It made me gasp with horror when the woman tells the story of when she set herself on fire at age three while she was making hot dogs on the stove. And I laughed when she told of the time she got in trouble at school in second grade because she turned her math homework in using binary numbers instead of arabic numbers.

The children in this family are an inspiration. They are an example of hard work and perserverance. They epitomize the American Dream. This is a must read.

The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh I love hearing about good books, so thanks for sharing. If you like autobiographies, you should read "One Writer's Beginnings" by Eudora Welty. I just love her style of writing and always meant to read more of her work.

Marianne said...

Thanks. I will check that one out after I read all of mine. I am going to start reading another one this afternoon during naptime. I can't remember the name. I'm a book reading machine right now.

Ariella said...

I read in spurts, too! Actually, I kind of do everything in spurts. Whatever, it seems to work for me. I'll have to check that book out during my next reading phase, which should be soon, since book club is in a week? Uh oh, I'd better send out an invite. :)