Wednesday, February 6, 2008

This one's for you, Jamie

I'm not going to lie. I consider myself a good cook. I can put a couple random ingredients together and create a yummy meal. I can read a recipe and taste it. So, when I read this recipe, I knew it was a good one. When I made it and my kids went crazy for it, I knew it was a keeper! I hope you guys like it. Don't let all the ingredients prevent you from making this recipe. It's super easy and fast to make. If anyone can tell me a better way to post recipes or if you have any recipe requests, please let me know.

Handy tip: Marinate the shrimp first before you start making the rice. Don't cook the shrimp until after you add the peas to the rice. Don't overcook the shrimp unless you like eating rubber. If you don't like shrimp, you can substitute 1 inch chunks of chicken tenderloins.

Spiced Shrimp
3 scallions
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (Optional if you have little kids. Tastes great without it also)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 lbs. large p&d shrimp, tails on
3 tbs veg. oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1. In plastic bag, mix together half the scallions, garlic, coriander, cumin, cayenne, and turmeric. Add shrimp and squish the bag to coat. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over med-high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring constantly and seasoning with salt until nearly opaque, about 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and continue frying until shrimp are cooked through, about 1 minute more. Top with remaining scallions.

Peas Pullao (rice dish)
2 tbs veg. oil
1 onion, thinly slices
1/4 tsp garam masala (Indian spice you can buy in bulk at most organic grocery stores)
1/8 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1. In large heavy saucepan, heat the oil over med-high heat. Add onion and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garam masala and turmeric and stir to combine. Stir in 3 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add rice and salt and stir briefly to break up any clumps. Lower heat, cover pan and simmer. Do not disturb pan until all the water is absorbed and rice is cooked through, about 18 minutes.
2. Uncover pan and mix peas while fluffing rice with a fork; cover ans set aside for 5 minutes, until the peas are heated through. (This is when you cook the shrimp.)

Thank you, Everyday with Rachael Ray.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're way better than a "good" cook. You're an awesome cook. I can't wait to try this recipe. I'm even more excited that it was posted just for me. I happen to have a bag of shrimp all ready to go except I am missing some other ingredients. I guess I'll make the shrimp in the recipe I have (Salt and Pepper Shrimp with Thai Fried Rice, thanks to Real Simple Magazine) and go do some shopping to get the goods for your yummy recipe. Thanks!!