Monday, February 4, 2008

When the husband's away...

...the kids eat junk food for dinner.

I mean, what's my motivation to cook? Ok, maybe healthy kids-but besides that? The great thing about cooking dinner when Mel is home is that he cleans up. Or at least his presence in the home motivates me to clean up. But when it's only the kids and I, there's no motivation to do much of anything least of all dishes. They don't care that the sink is piled high with dirty dishes and cups. I think they make a sport of seeing who can pile dishes the highest. What's that game...Topple?

What's more, they don't even eat what I cook. Patricia does because she likes lots of different foods, and she will even eat something that she doesn't like just to be nice. But the other three!?!? Forget it! In her cute little elf voice Vivian says,"I don't like this dinner mommy. It's not very good." Mimi whines,"Do I have to eat the broccoli? tortellini? chicken?" And Trystan just pushes his food around his plate and sneaks away from the table while I am busy yelling at Vivian for throwing her food to the dog.

So that's why I just feed them junk food for dinner. Because they'll eat it. And I can serve it on paper plates. And they don't need forks. And I don't have to wash pots and pans. I usually eat a giant salad and if I tell them that they can't have any, they they'll want some too. So at least they are getting something green.

I know it's taking the easy route, but it helps them not miss their dad while he's away. Mel's gone for the week, and we've planned at least two dinners out. Oh, and I have also planned to make cookies and cupcakes. We still have to eat breakfast, you know.

6 comments:

Harmony said...

You are so stinkin' hilarious! I do the exact same thing when Blake's gone. Me: Doing dishes? Makeup? You must be out of your mind!

So, do we get cupcake recipes too? Your cookies are about to hit my waistline!

Marianne said...

I am having a salad for diner today...Ha, ha, ha. I'm sick of pizza.

-Patricia

Unknown said...

You crack me up! Your blog is inspiring me to find some recipes to share on my blog, but I've got to find something really good before I dare share anything since you are the best! Maybe I'll just share your recipes and claim them as my own. Haha!

Emily said...

I think Tina Bastian called it, "survival mode" to me. I do the same thing. Cj does TDY's during the work week, about three weeks out of the month. I definitely have a set of meals that i cook while he is gone, and when he is home, it's more glamorous. Eating out is a must, i told him, at least once a week while he is gone, usually on Scout night because it's at such an awkward time for me to manage cooking.

My kids walk to school, they eat healthy, organic breakfasts, and balanced lunches...dinner i am not too picky on!

Marianne said...

Well, I can share my cupcake and cookie recipes that I will be making this week. Here goes: Pillsbury.

Amanda said...

I don't wait for my husband to be gone to eat the junk food. I guess that makes me doubly bad! Though the times Anton is gone we eat super bad, so I guess that makes up for it. By the way the recipe for the Samoa's is linked on my blog post!