Sunday, February 10, 2008

We're eatin' like kings now

Mel's home now and today I've more than made up for last week's cooking drought. I made an AWESOME breakfast of eggs, bacon, and blueberry muffins (recipe follows). And dinner was nothing to sneeze at either - spicy roast pork tacos with all the fixins, black beans and rice. The grand finale was a yummy dessert I made at Christmas: fresh pineapple upside down cake (no boxes involved) YUMMMMM. I am glad I am wearing my stretchy pants tonight.

Here is my blueberry muffin recipe. Well, it's actually Alton Brown's recipe. He doesn't mind me sharing it with you. Here are a few tips:

  1. Use 2 1/2 cups flour.

  2. If you don't have yogurt you can use sour cream, but blueberry yogurt tastes best.

  3. Make extra sure you don't overmix the batter; only mix it as much as the recipe calls for.

  4. These are even better the next day so don't eat all of them the first day.

I'll include another blueberry recipe that is not a whole lot better for you, but since it uses whole wheat flour, you can trick yourself into thinking it's better for you.

Whole wheat pancakes - thanks Brie for this recipe

(Don't be fooled by the name, they are actually light and fluffy and good.)

2 cups milk

3 eggs, separated

2 tbsp. honey

1/2 cup veg. oil

2 cups whole wheat flour

3 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

  1. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
  2. In a large bowl, combine milk, yolks, honey, and oil. Combine dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in egg whites.
  3. Cook on lightly greased hot griddle.

(You may add blueberries to step 2 after you have folded in egg whites)

7 comments:

Crystal said...

your blog merely serves to make me hungry for things I'm not allowed to eat.

Harmony said...

Wow! Why am I not eating at your house. I have a question: how many pancakes does the whole wheat recipe make? Seems like a lot!

I'm so glad you're putting all these recipes on here!

Marianne said...

When I made the pancakes, I didn't count them, but there were leftovers. I just refrigerated them and ate the blueberry pancakes like a piece of bread later for lunch. You know that's a good pancake if you can eat it cold without butter or syrup.

Brie Stockwell said...

MMMMMmmm..I don't even remember giving this recipe to you:) We LOVE these pancakes!!! The best no calorie way to eat these is to cook (I mean fry) them in a little oil so they are hot and a little crispy. Glad Mel doesn't have to eat mac n cheese from a box:) -Brie

The Galan Family said...

Yummy!! We made these pancakes for dinner last night and they were a hit! We added blueberries to ours. Thanks so much for posting the recipe!

Monique said...

Can you use regular flour if you don't have "cake flour?" I have never bought cake flour in my life. I'm supposing it's near the regular flour. Right? Oh, and one more dirty secret... I don't sift!! EVER!! (gasp)

Marianne said...

Monique,
Yes. You can use regular, all-purpose flour. That's what I use. And I don't sift either. I have a giant canister that I keep my flour in and I 'fluff' it before I measure it instead of sifting it. I am so sure the term 'fluff' isn't something Alton Brown would approve of. But, I do mix throughly the dry ingreds in a separate bowl. Just 'fluff' them with a fork and that will do the trick. there's that word again...