Thursday, September 2, 2010

Caught up - II

That summer was one of the best and worst I can remember. Best because I met my sister*, Mixee. We all loved her. But I love her the most. We are kindred spirits. But back to the story:

So, all of us girls in the neighborhood would hang out in the afternoons while the kids played. We'd chat, laugh, discuss, bitch, gossip (in a nice way). Mixee really was the most open (wiiiide open, KWIM?) one of us. Even though I knew the other girls longer, I connected with Mixee best. We both have white mothers and black fathers. She was the first black friend that I had since I joined the church. Go 'head. Read that last sentence again. I think I have to. I don't think I realized that until now. But the point of all this is that she brought out something in me that no one else up until this point has. I was so drawn to her because through her, I felt like myself again. My other sister*, S, pointed out that I was a totally different person around Mixee. I was raw and real and dare I say, fun.

It was the worst because I realized that the glass house I had been living in had some very serious cracks in it. Looking back, I thought I was above certain temptations. I am not going to go into details about that part. I'm not trying to create any mystery or excitement. What I will say, is that I had lost who I was. I had forgotten what it was about me that made me happy. I felt like I was trapped in my life. As a result, I stopped eating, smiling, socializing. All of it. I was depressed. Most of you might remember that. You know, the month where I lost 25 pounds? It ended up lasting for close to three years.

During that time, I felt overwhelmed and trapped with being a wife, mother, caregiver, manager, decision maker, all-a-dat. I wanted to escape. But I couldn't. I loved my fantastic husband. He really is amazing. I did't want to hurt him. I was committed to my children. I didn't want them to grow up as children of a mother that ran away. Those two things were really non-choices.

While in the course of therapy, I had an epiphany. As I was crying and discussing my situation and beliefs, the topic of religion came up. Here's how the conversation went:

Therapist: So right now, Patricia is being raised Mormon, right?
Me: Yes.
T: But as she grows up, she might choose not to continue to be Mormon. So, would that be ok?
Me: Ummmmm, yeah, I guess so.
I can't say that I believed what I had said. I knew that the answer I gave was the 'correct' answer. I knew that I was 'supposed' to say that she had a choice. You all know as well as I know, that there really IS no choice. It's expected. It's a given. Up until that point, I had always assumed that she would grow up and marry in the temple and have a million kids and be an active member of the church. I never asked her what she thought about this. I never even entertained the thought that she might want to do something else.

And then a couple of weeks later it hit me. Like a fucking ton of bricks! I DO HAVE A CHOICE! I can choose to go to church or not. I can choose. I mean, I do have agency, right? But I fought it. I doubted myself. I felt guilty. Like I was being selfish. Like I was letting my family down. Like Satan really had a grasp on me. I hated Sundays. I hated going to church. I hated having to see people and put on a show. I hated my life again.

What made me really stop going to church was the four hours of alone time in my house. Really. No one offended me. I didn't find out terrible things about Joseph Smith. I just plain didn't wanna. That's it. I kept up the illusion of going to church by only attending sacrament meeting. But I knew I wasn't fooling anyone. Not anyone who really was paying attention anyway. It was easy to stop coming to church all together when we changed wards.

I tried to attend for a couple of weeks. I really did. I intended to start anew in our new ward. It wasn't the same. I didn't want to have to be on my best behavior for people I didn't know or care to get to know. I didn't like to be the newcomer. I'd skip RS to go to my friend's house. Her backyard is adjacent to the church parking lot. (Psssst! wanna know a secret? Once, she wasn't home, and I stayed and talked to her husband. ALONE!)

That's the gist. I've skipped stuff. When I went to Hawaii, I had my 'first' coffee. I'm pretty sure it was on this day. It was an iced vanilla latte. I remembered quickly that I don't like milky sweet coffee drinks. I'm a black girl. (pun intended) It took me almost two years before I could get a cup of coffee and not feel like I had to sneak around. I've had alcohol. I like it. I haven't been shitty drunk once. Really Brandi. I wasn't shitty. Just a little buzzed.

So, why am I telling you bitches all this? It's my blog. So I'll do whatever the hell I want. That's why. There's more to this story. Like why I think I'm not just rebelling. And why I most likely won't go back. And why I am thankful for people who can present information in an unbiased, educated, respectful way. I'll tell it another day. Oh shit!! I forgot to tell you about one more really important thing!!!

It was a conversation/lesson in Sunday school that took place before I moved. I don't remember what it was about, but the person said something about being converted by the social aspects of the church. That eventually that goes away, and the person is left with nothing. She hit the nail on the head for me. Hence the title.

I'll finish this story but not tonight. I have to get up early to take my daughter to seminary.


*Let the records show: I do not have any blood related sisters. The aforementioned 'sisters' are my bestest girlfriends. They have held my hand and heart through the toughest times in my life. I love them with all my heart.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your story really strikes a chord with me. I was teaching Gospel Doctrine when I started my process of leaving -- had no idea that was what would happen. On the surface, everything was peachy. People loved my lessons (at least they told me so). They would approach me afterwards with tears in their eyes and thank me "for bringing the spirit." I would smile but I felt nothing. That made me feel like such a hypocrite.

So I worked harder to do all the things I'd been taught my whole life would lead me -- a woman and beloved daughter of God -- to my ultimate happiness -- God's love. I studied the scriptures more diligently, prayed more earnestly, etc. I felt like I was feasting at a table where I tasted nothing and my stomach was still empty. So I added a new dimension -- church history. That was the end for me.

For what it's worth (probably not much), here's my opinion as I now look at all of this as an outsider. Mormonism somehow robs women of their identities. In that process of striving to do and be all that God wants them to do and be, they forget who they are. They lose themselves. I know my experience is just my own but I know so many Mormon women who struggle with depression ...

Anyhoo ... Thanks for sharing your story. Can't wait for Part III.

greta said...

i hear ya on the church thing. i hate to go to church. i feel like i have to get all fancied up, make my kids hold unnaturally still for way too long and have a smile on my face the whole freaking time. uh, no thank you. i know that i shouldn't care. that it doesn't matter what i wear, or if my kids are misbehaving, going to learn more about God is really the only reason we should be going anyway. but when the social aspect is so ingrained into the religion it's difficult to ignore. i started to not go to church for the same reason as you. being home alone. it was the ONLY time all week where i could be in my home without one.single.person but me. i could do whatever i wanted without being bothered and that is soooo very addicting.
just because i don't go to church most sundays doesn't mean i don't believe in the gospel. i truly believe it is true and except for my coffee fetish, i still pretty straight laced.
i'm glad that i got to know you in our ward. you're awesome!

SheL said...

Marianne I love you. While I have wondered about your feelings on the subject, it didn't matter to me. You are an amazing person and a good friend and nothing else is relevant. I can understand your feelings on the subject and I just want you to be happy. If you are happy now then I am happy for you. =) I do want to tell you that I appreciate that you are still very respectful of the members of the church and their beliefs. I don't care when people leave the church, everyone does have a choice, but I hate it when people leave and then try to make other members look and feel stupid for staying. Anyway the point I am trying to make is just that I love you and I will support you in anything that makes you happy. =)

Brandi said...

Woman, you were slurring your words that night, which is pretty impressive considering they were typed.

Drunk--excuse me--buzzed, Marianne was pretty funny. But I definitely prefer the sober version of the blog post.

Brandi said...

Forgot to add--church was so miserable in Georgia after the "incident" that I pretended to be sick and stayed home. A LOT. And it was so nice and quiet...

Linds said...

Marianne- I love you. Truly. You're awesome. I think I needed to read this post. Yeah I believe in the Church (yada, yada, yada)- I too have a coffee (cappuccino fetish... mmmm). You have a point though about the social aspects- sometimes they are good [when I can be me around other people] and other times they are annoying [like when they can't understand why Bridgette isn't being socially acceptable] and sometimes it's not so great [when I feel pressured to be someone I'm NOT]. I have to say I don't give into that pressure now where before I thought I was expected to fit inside this little box that I simply don't fit inside. I am totally cool with my kids being LDS or not because you know what- they'll still be good people. And I do sincerely believe that people aren't doomed for Hell because they believe something different in then I. I mean isn't the REAL point to believe in Jesus Christ and try to love/ serve people like he would? And I have to say that I know you and you do that. Not only do you love people- you love them for who they are- not because of some show they put on. So thanks for the post, Marianne. I know you're just putting it out there, but thanks for saying some of what I was thinking- you rock!

Marianne said...

Brandi, you're in danger of getting blocked. We should talk soon mofo.

I'm glad the rest of you love me. That's a great thing.

Brandi said...

If I didn't love you, I wouldn't take the time to harass you.

Monique said...

This is the first time in my life where I live in a place where I have more friends that aren't LDS than are. And the 30 people that actually go to our Branch all drive me crazy and it got to the point where I had to make the realization that I personally don't go to church just for the socialization. It took me a while to stop hating going to church... I think we all have to get to that point where we, like you said, make a conscience choice. And who is to judge other's choices?? There are AMAZING people in this world that aren't members of the LDS church and (if I even dare say it) are more Christian than some Mormons that I know. I love my friends through their drunkedness, smoking, and foul language. They respect my beliefs and love me regardless. Their Christ-like love blows me away! I respect their beliefs and love them too... You are loved Marianne and I'm just hoping that you are happy. I worried about you when you lost all that weight at once. I was just so glad that you were open about your depression and though I didn't know how to help you, I hope you felt the love. I was the best Visiting Teacher, huh? Just admit it. Dang. I think you taught me more than I taught you. You amaze me and I still look up to you. Your beliefs don't dictate our friendship. I think your delicious desserts might have something to do with it though!! ;) mmmm!

Janet said...

I don't know why my last post didn't say who I am...I'm not used to replying to blogs; just writing them! HAHAH!!

I think church is a good way to find your spiritual path. I don't always believe it is the one meant for you in terms of denomination, but it a good place to get a look at who you are, who you want to be and who you were meant to be. I was baptized a Catholic and have drifted from it. I don't judge others who are fabulous Christians because that religion works for THEM, I just know it's not for me.

I am still in my "research" phase of my life but I try to do things with integrity and purpose while keeping who I am in tact. I don't mind changing behaviors for the better, but if I feel alienated because of what I enjoy doing as hobbies, the way I talk or my way of thinking, it's time to move on. Lesson learned: THIS AIN'T IT! =))

I love reading your blogs! A time to talk is long overdue my love! I can't wiat to see you!!!!